Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Great Wall of Memmingen

This blog is dedicated to Mom & Dad and their love of snow. Here's a pic of how very much it was snowing. Look closely and you can see the big, fat flakes tumbling in the foreground.


I shoveled snow for the first time in my life this morning. I cleared the entrance to our apartment building, or well, at least half of it. Marty's the man, and he had to take over and finish it after I did about 3 scoops. Haha.


Before I start our snowy tour around town, here's one of my favorite sights... the Pizza Blitz car. It's sooo cute!


It's cool seeing snow sticking to the sides of the trees.


We took a historic walk around and through the city.


First, one of the many cool gates in the old wall built back in the 1400's.


We walked along the wall, much of which is bordered by parks, which look even better with a blanket of snow.



So Mom & Dad, I hope you like the pics so far. I think several are 1000 piece puzzle quality, don't you? Here's one I think would be especially difficult.


Another great tree picture. It reminds me of the gum tree we used to have in the back yard, only this one has much bigger gumball thingys.


More pictures of the parks...



Along the way, we happened upon this sign and found it terrible that Fussball is Forbidden (see last line) in the Stadt of Memmingen. Those big B thingys in the German alphabet equal two ss'es.


And now for the more personal touch, which my sister Alicia always requests, pictures with Marty (jumping for joy) and me in them:



Here we are at the main gate, the only one that people could get through at night in the old days.


And the towers... I like towers. Here's one of the towers in the wall, which lends it a sort of "castle" look.


And here's my favorite tower, the Swallow Tail tower. Very sweet!


A view along the inside of the wall, with another gate and a cool bridge over the little river that runs through Memmingen.


Next we reached one of our favorite gates to drive through, with it's mural portraying the entry of King Maximilian into his imperial city of Memmingen in 1489.


Then there was a small section of wall with the guard walkway on top still intact. I can imagine being a sentry on the night watch.


Finally, St. Martinskirche, much more picturesque when accented by snow. Marty likes it because it's named after him... err... well, you know.


And so we've enjoyed our first day of our "snowed in" weekend in Germany. There's not been as much snow nor as much cold as forecast, but we're sticking with our excuse for being lazy. =) Hope you're having a nice weekend as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment