Monday, February 15, 2010

Athens, the Acropolis, and the Aegean Sea

We left the snow of Germany behind for a few days. Flying into Greece was one of the most picturesque flights ever. Made me want to cruise amongst the Greek isles more than ever.


A short walk from our hotel and we were among the ruins. We found a little cafe called δia-τaūτa where we shared a Mediterranean salad. Marty had delicious lamb and I had chicken & rice in a white wine sauce. We always forget to take pictures of these great dishes, in the tradition of our daughter, so I took a pic of the table when the damage was all done.


We took so many pictures of this gorgeous place, that it's hard to limit it to just a few. We visited the Acropolis Sunday and Monday, one day being overcast and the other being sunny. The ruins transported me into the past; a sensation I'd searched for in Rome, but missed. While pictures can't relate that feeling, only being in a place can, here are some of my favorite shots from both days:










Centuries old detail at the base of this column reveals beauty from the past...


Mars Hill, the site of the Areopagus, the Council of the Greeks, where Paul delivered the good news of Jesus Christ to the Athenians.

We followed in Sharayah's footsteps and read Acts 17:16-34 out loud as we stood here.


Saw these beautiful churches...



In opposition, while I don't believe in the gods of the Greeks, I do admire this statue of Athena, representing Wisdom, who calls out to all of us... even in God's Word.


At their university, statues of Plato and Socrates, representing the philosophers and their devotion to study.


Today, we hiked up to Lykavittos and had this gorgeous view as we enjoyed lunch.


It's been an experience of a lifetime... contemplating how Jesus has been in all places in all times and all spaces... my horizons continue to expand.

2 comments:

  1. super great photos mom! makes me want to go back very badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is very interesting and I loved the photos on this post, good job! I am a new blogger and because of my love for Santorini (a Greek island) I started my blog, Santorini Greece. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete