Sunday, September 13, 2009

Schloss Neuschwanstein

Schloss means "castle" or something like that, and if you look closely enough you can see the "Schwan" (pronounced schvan for swans) buried in the name. Schwans have a significant place in German history, particularly the "his story" surrounding King Ludwig (pronounced Ludvig) II.

I was blessed to have the opportunity to visit two of the prettiest castles in Europe... at least in my opinion... and one of them was his. It's true I've not visited many castles yet, so that may not be saying much, but considering the fact that Disney's Cinderella castle was inspired by one of these two, I can't be far off base in proclaiming it's beauty.

My co-worker friend, Sue Kriegel, and I made our way to Füssen, Germany at the base of the Alps and here's just a "peak" at what we beheld.

First of all, I loved this sign by the lake in this little Alpine town. Alpseebad - yes, I see the need to see the Alps very badly.


We wondered why all the tourists were lining the street and looking up the path into the mountains. Soon we discovered, it was the Bavarian Cows On Parade...



And if you're up for a really short video clip, you can hear how loud these giant cow bells are. It's cool!


King Ludwig II's castle is the Cinderella one, but first, here's a view of his parents' little castle below. Rather impressive, imo.


And now for the unveiling of the beauty found midway up in the German Alps...



I especially liked the funny faces of the gargoyles on the side of the castle.


It was a great place to visit, and I have many more pics, so hit me up if you want to see more. We took a harrowing bus ride up the mountain that caused Sue to keep her eyes wide shut, and we took an enchanting ride back down the mountain in a horse-drawn carriage. We ended the day with a delightful dinner in the quaint town below, and in honor of my daughter, I took my first pic of my food in Europe... just b/c it looked so pretty. Apricot cream with blackberry sauce. Germans know how to do dessert!


I hope you, whoever you are, might be able to come visit while I'm in Germany this year. I would love to take you to see the Cinderella castle as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment