Friday, December 4, 2009

An Eye for Art

Having a husband who's an artist has it's advantages. He knows what's good to go see, and so we caught glimpses of beauty today. He says there are 5 or so museums that vie for the position of top 3 in the world, and as of today we've been to 2 of them: The Museum of Art in NYC and the Uffizi in Florence. We have yet to visit the Vatican (tomorrow) and the Louvre (we'll get there).

Taking pictures of the works of art in the Uffizi was not allowed, but I did take this pic of one of God's works of art, mixed with some of man's art, in the form of bridges.


I did get pics of some of the amazing sculptures outside...


And I snuck a shot of Michaelangelo's David in the Gallerie dell Accademia as Marty sat sketching his beautiful backside. David is contemplating his pending battle with Goliath. While I know he didn't put on King Saul's armor for the fight, I do think he had on more than this. Tee hee.


Here's another interesting picture... it's the base of David's statue, and if you look closely you can see me and Marty in the reflection. I title it, "Artists at work..."


We had a nice late lunch in a little cafe on the piazza between museums. It specialized in hot Cioccolata which was like drinking a Hershey bar. In the evening we headed for Roma, Italia. I write this from our amazing hotel room here. It is a resort hotel, and I guess because of the lull in the tourist season, they upgraded us to a really nice suite for free. It has 2 bathrooms, one with a walk-in rainforest type shower, a living room, and a large bedroom with office area. There are 4 armoires for hanging clothes, wood floors and marble in the bathroom. At dinner, the chef kept sending out things for us to sample for free, for fun... I guess because there are so few guests. This place is on the outskirts of Rome, and when we first turned down the small street to get to it, we thought we'd made a booking mistake in Expedia. But what a nice surprise it has turned out to be... the Excel Roma Montemario.

Now before I sign off, I must share this photo from Florence for those of you who need to start working on your Italian before you head over here...


Buona Sera!

No comments:

Post a Comment