Sunday, December 6, 2009

Need for Speed - Underground - Italy

So we left Rome around 5pm, and the sun had already set. If ever I've experienced a video game in real life, this was it!

Dark highways. They don't believe in lighting their highways, rarely even in the cities, and the blacktop under a dark country sky is especially... black.

The lanes are narrow. Sometimes you're not even sure you have enough room to pass the guy in the right lane.

No shoulders. On either side of the road. If your car breaks down here, better pray to God you can make it to the next little SOS spot on the side of the road up ahead... otherwise you're dead. Because someone flying at 200 kph is going to plow over you before they even see you.

And between Florence and Bologna, the road becomes so winding... bridges and tunnels... tunnels and bridges (yes, I know I've pointed this out in a blog before, but it bears repeating here).

It was actually a thrill to drive, and I kept it wound up around 140 kph, but both hands were on the wheel and my focus was intense much of the time. Because here, if you screw up, there's no "reset and start over", like in the video games.

My Need for Speed was well satisfied... for awhile.
And no... I don't have any pics of it. /smile

No comments:

Post a Comment