Saturday, August 1, 2009

dynn does dallas

Not many weeks after my trip to florida, dynn came to visit me in texas... the first AfterLife guildie to come see me. His visit had a dual purpose; to hang out and to interview for a job at GameStop on my team. Dave C. has always impressed me with his knowledge of IT related nerdiness. He would fit right in to the Nerdvana that we've named our environment at work.

He stepped off the plane Friday morning and I picked him up and took him to work with me. We toured the warehouse and he interviewed with several on my team and the Vice President of our group. Everyone liked him, and had the economy not taken it's recent turn resulting in a freeze of all outstanding job requisitions, we'd be working together now, I'm sure.

The day before had been his birthday, so after work, we took him to his choice of restaurants: Pappadeaux. We enjoyed yummy cajun & creole seafood. Afterwards, we hung out at our place watching TV, enjoying Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon, Newcastle, and the Shiner Hefeweizen beer I'd bought just for Dave.

The next morning Dave & I went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. We talked about life and love and the type of girl he's looking for. The thing I remember most is his comment about wanting a girl who would genuinely laugh at his jokes. Charming! =)

We went and checked out various apartments in the area, in the hopes that the job freeze will lift soon and he'll get to move to Texas. We even hit up one of the super ritzy places, outside of both of our price ranges, but got a bottle of Grapevine vinyard wine out of the deal. Unfortunately, it wasn't that good. =(

We got home around 3pm to find Marty cooking up his famous fajitas. After dinner, we headed to downtown Ft Worth where the Arts Festival was going on. It was tremendous. The streets were overflowing with booths full of art of every kind, and there were varous stages set up with jazz and blues filling the air. It was a beautiful evening. We'd intended to go to Hyena's Comedy club but got mixed up on the show times. Turned out it was more enjoyable out on the streets just wondering around and taking in the sights. We went to the Flying Saucer bar, but it was standing room only. We bought fresh squeezed lemonade and roasted corn on the cob from the street vendors and enjoyed several of the shows on stage.

It was really late when we left, but we made the trip all the way across the metroplex to let Dave get a look at the Dallas skyline at night and show him around the city a little.

The next morning at church, the message was about "Change" and it seemed to speak directly to Dave. Even if this change to come to GameStop doesn't go through, his life is definitely in motion. God is definitely at work, and it's awesome to watch. He went to youth group with us, and just as it was starting I got a call from Josh A. He was looking for a church to go to and wanted to know if Grace Lutheran would be a good place. It made me smile just to think he was going. I told him it sounded okay to me, and said a little prayer that God was in control of that situation. Told Dave about it and he smiled too.

After church we went to Pei Wei's with the teens and college students. Dave was impressed with our group of kids. Back at home, Mark, our son came over and we all watched "It's a Beautiful Life" together. Dave had never seen it. It's a powerful movie. Finally, we went to Speed Zone and hit up the Slick Track and Turbo Track. I love racing cars. Then I took Dave to the airport to catch his flight home. I sure hope we get to see each other again and hang out some more.

There's still a bottle of that Hefeweizen sittin' in my frig awaiting his return. Beer doesn't go bad does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment