Sunday, August 16, 2009

Goldie's Last Day

Actually, it was my last day in Canada, but Sharayah's been house/dog sitting for a golden retriever by that name, which reminded me of the PFR song "Goldie's Last Day". It wasn't that I'd thought of the dog dying, but rather it was a combo of the dog's name and our discussion of the demise of a certain "Quest for the Holy Grail" killer rabbit that brought the song to mind.

I woke up Sunday morning for my last day in Canada. Josh and I got ready for church and he was sportin' the GQ style that makes me think of "Mr. Bailey's Daughter" by Bryan Duncan. Songs help define so much in our lives, huh?

I dropped off the rental car and we headed to the church. Bummer! The service time had changed from 11am to 10am, catching Josh unaware. We'd just missed it. Sadness. We went to Starbucks instead, and then stopped to pick up a movie.

I'd told Josh about "Elizabeth, the Golden Age" back when I'd first seen it and told him about how she was one of my heros. He was up for watching it with me. I love the scene where she's doing the Braveheart thing on her white horse in front of all her troops on the cliff. She's willing to die with them. I also love the way God intervenes to destroy the entire Spanish armada and blesses her with a reign of great peace.

After the movie we rounded up Chris and hit an asian buffet. They were just putting out dinner. Shrimp and crab legs ~ yum! Josh was off getting food at one point when Chris and I had this conversation that included a comment about his use of recreational drugs. He read the concern in my face, which mirrored the many discussions we've had in game on this subject. He said "I know" in his usual manner... low & slow... reflecting an understanding of the depth of my concern.

He knew what I meant. I knew what he meant. I love these conversations where so much is said without words. I love Chris very much. I hope his buried love for Jesus will resurface and light up his life in such a way that the AL celebration IRL someday will be more meaningful for him.

Back at the house, the three of us watched multiple episodes of "How I Met Your Mother", and Nate even joined us. I searched the web for a hotel by the airport b/c I didn't want to make Josh drive there at 4:30am, so I could catch my ridiculously early flight. Then we watched True Blood, a show that troubled my soul. I prayed alot, sensing a level of spiritual warfare I'd not felt in a long time, probably due mostly to my moving away from God in recent years. I wanted to talk to Josh about it as he drove me to the hotel, but couldn't find the words.

When we dropped Chris at home I gave him a big hug and told him I loved him. Same for Josh when we reached my hotel. I love him like a son? a brother? a very special friend... in Christ... forever... =)

No comments:

Post a Comment